In recognition of SPAM Appreciation Week 2020, here’s a quick and easy recipe using the world’s favourite tinned chopped pork and ham.
Taken from the official SPAM UK website, it’s for a tasty and filling SPAM Frittata – a kind of heavyweight omelette that would be equally at home for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
- A 340g can of classic SPAM cut into half-inch cubes
- 6 large eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 2 medium tomatoes, quartered, deseeded and drained on kitchen towel
- 30g grated Cheddar cheese
- I knob of butter or a little vegetable oil (optional)
- Salt and ground black pepper
- Crack the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the milk and season with a little salt and pepper then whisk well with a fork.
- Place the SPAM cubes into a hot dry frying pan and fry until golden and lightly browned.
- If you’re using the optional butter or vegetable oil, add it to the hot frying pan then pour in the egg mixture.
- Keep moving the egg and SPAM mixture around the frying pan until it forms a ‘pancake, but is still soft on the top and with the SPAM cubes evenly distributed throughout.
- Scatter on the deseeded tomato pieces and finally the grated cheese.
- Take the pan off the heat and place it under a preheated hot grill to cook the top, leaving it there until the cheese is golden and bubbling and the egg is finished cooking.
- Divide into slices and serve hot straight from the pan.
Tip: For a little extra flavour add a dash of Worcester Sauce to the egg and milk mixture before cooking. You could serve with fresh crusty bread or a side salad.
• You can find lots more recipes using SPAM by clicking here.