Its Indy 500 weekend and the Acorn Stairlifts car will be featuring driven by James Jakes. The Indy 500 consists of 200 laps and 500 miles of racing
This prestigious race is considered the highlight of the Indy Car calendar and one of the most historic and respected automobile races in the world.
Being the largest single-day sporting event in the world, race days do not get much bigger.
The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is considered the worlds largest capacity sporting venue. It has a permanent seating capacity estimated at around 257000 people.
With added in field seating raises this capacity to 400000 people making it the highest capacity stadium facility in the world.
James will be driving the Acorn Stairlifts car with the Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing team.
Some interesting Indy 500 facts
- Thirty three cars take part.
- The record for the fastest winning average speed was 185.9 mph by Arie Luyendyk in 1990.
- The first female driver was Janet Guthrie in 1977.
- The race was original called International 500 Mile Sweepstakes Race then later The 500.
- Its tradition for the winner to drink a bottle of milk after Louis Meyer drank a bottle after his 2nd win in 1933.
- Cars utilize 2.2 L V6 turbocharged engines generating between 550-700 horsepower.