Whatever you’re buying, from a washing machine to a new car, there will always be certain features that should be essentials or that matter most to you.
If you’re replacing an item you’ve used before, chances are you’ll have a good idea what you’re looking for, but if you’re buying a product you’ve never used, how do you know what features are most important? That’s usually the case when someone is buying a stairlift, so to help you make an informed decision, here’s our Top 10 stairlift features checklist:
- Auto-stop safety sensors: It’s crucial that your stairlift has sensors to detect any obstruction accidentally left on the stairs. When they do so, they should automatically cut off power to the lift until the obstruction is removed and the journey can resume safely. Acorn Stairlifts have safety sensors on the footrest and carriage for just this purpose.
- Locking swivel seat: A swivel seat which locks into position makes it much easier to get on and off the stairlift, especially at the top of the stairs where safety is paramount. Acorn Stairlifts have large, easy-to-reach paddles on either side of the seat – a gentle push allows it to swivel, locking securely into place at either 45° or 88°, the optimum angle for getting on and off. Once turned, the swivel seat also acts as a safety barrier at the top of the stairs
- Gentle stop-start and a smooth ride: A smooth ride, with no sudden jolts, is better for you and your stairlift. Acorn Stairlifts are designed to ride smoothly along their straight or curved rails and to start and stop so gently that you’ll hardly even notice.
- Reliable battery power: A stairlift running off powerful rechargeable batteries means you’ll never be left stranded in the event of a power cut. Located in the stairlift carriage, the batteries are continually topped up from the mains power supply when the stairlift is ‘parked’ at its charging stations at the top or bottom of the stairs. Acorn Stairlifts pioneered this innovation and still leads the field in stairlift battery technology.
- Retractable safety belt: Just as if you’re travelling in a car, you should always ‘buckle up’ on your stairlift. All Acorn Stairlifts have strong and reliable safety belts fitted as standard, designed for ease of use and giving extra peace of mind.
- Intuitive ergonomic controls: Acorn Stairlifts have large directional paddles fitted to both arms of the carriage, helping Acorn become the first and only stairlift company awarded the Arthritis Foundation’s Ease-of-Use commendation. Once securely seated on the stairlift carriage, just push the control paddle in the direction you want to travel. It’s that easy!
- Digital diagnostic display: A clear and easy-to-read display panel helps you diagnose any simple faults or changes in your stairlift’s status. Referring to the stairlift’s clearly written user manual lets you understand what the display is telling you. In most cases you can rectify it yourself, or call Acorn’s helpline, staffed 365-days-a-year, for expert help.
- Twin remote controls: Having a remote control lets you summon or send the stairlift if it isn’t where you need it to be – an especially useful feature if more than one person in your home is using the lift. Acorn Stairlifts come with two remote controls as standard, one for the top of the stairs and one for the bottom.
- Slimline foldaway carriage design: A stairlift carriage which occupies minimal space when not in use makes it easy for other people to pass on the stairs. The seat, arms and footrest of Acorn Stairlifts all fold up neatly and out of the way when not in use, and the folding process can even be automated at the push of a button if you prefer it.
- Stylish, unobtrusive design: Your stairlift should blend with the décor of your home and be as unobtrusive as possible. Acorn Stairlifts use a single strong aluminium rail which is both discreet and attractively finished. The rail is fixed to the stairs, not the wall, so there is no messy and disruptive structural work in installing your Acorn Stairlift. If you no longer need it, it can be removed with hardly a trace it was ever there.
Acorn Stairlifts have all the features that you need and none you don’t, making them reliable, safe, inconspicuous, easy-to-use and great value for money. One other feature you should definitely look for is excellent aftercare, backed up by a nationwide network of service engineers on call whenever you may need one. Again, this is a box which is well and truly ‘ticked’ by Acorn Stairlifts.
For more information, call free on 0808 223 4871 to speak with one of our stairlift experts, or click on the ‘Get a Free Brochure’ or ‘Quick Free Quote’ buttons at the top right of this page.